Help us get United flights out on time, every time
Have you ever wanted to get up close to an Airbus or Boeing airplane? Are you an outdoors type who enjoys all kinds of weather? Do you like physical work that keeps you fit? You’re a great candidate for a role as a part-time Ramp Agent/Baggage Handler for United Airlines.
As part of our baggage handling team, you’ll be in constant motion as you take on many assignments like loading and unloading aircraft cargo, moving baggage to and from terminals, and receiving and dispatching aircraft. It’s a varied job that can be fun, tiring, rewarding and exhilarating, all at once.
Are you the right fit for this service?
• You will be working outside in all kinds of weather, as we don’t stop flying when it rains, snows or is too hot.
• You must love physical activity, as you will be lifting as many as 100 items per flight, some weighing as much as 70 lbs.
• You’ll need a commitment to safety at all times, including an attention to detail and your surroundings.
• You should be committed to caring for bags as if they were your own (passengers can see you!) and providing excellent customer service for your fellow United employees.
Many routes to success
• You will start by loading and unloading aircraft and placing baggage on belts.
• We provide paid training, including 1 week of orientation, 1 week in the classroom and 1-3 weeks on the job.
• Once you’ve got the basics, you can explore other duties such as de-icing, marshaling aircraft and driving a wide variety of mechanical equipment like cargo carts and conveyor belts.
• Later, you can grow into a team lead, become a supervisor or manager, or join the team that moves our aircraft.
• You’ll also have the ability to transfer to other locations within our amazing network.
Qualifications - External
• The ability to work any schedule or shift is crucial
• Since this is a union job based on seniority, you will be assigned your initial schedule to meet our needs at the airport.
• You must be available for day and night shifts, weekends and holidays.
• You will be required to work mandatory overtime, when necessary.
• As you gain seniority, you can trade days with colleagues, pick up extra hours and have more control over your schedule.
• Punctuality and reliability are essential – we’ve got flight schedules to meet!
The rewards for your efforts
• $15.03/hour, with yearly increases (as per collective bargaining agreement)
• Medical benefits for part time (20 - 30 hours per week)
• Flight privileges
• Competitive compensation package, with benefits including medical, dental, vision, life, accident and disability, employee assistance program, commuter, paid holiday, paid time off, 401(k) and match.
• Bonus eligible
• Benefits are subject to the collective bargaining agreement
A few additional requirements
• High school diploma, GED or equivalent
• Minimum of 18 years old
• Ability to operate a computer to enter and retrieve data
• A valid state issued driver’s license with acceptable driving record
• Ability to pass a background check, physical abilities test, hearing and vision tests, and drug screen
• Eligibility to obtain necessary credentials and clearances (FAA, TSA, Port Authority, U.S. Customs and U.S. Postal)
• Must NOT have lived outside of the United States in the past 5 years for any period longer than six months, excluding military duty or government-approved exceptions
• Legally authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship